Saturday, April 30, 2011

Progression

Yesterday was the first in 9 days that Carla left her room and went for a walk. Escorted by myself and her brother, we took a slow lap around the "track". Nurses, doctors, PAs, and CNAs showed us there smiles and told Carla it was great to see her out. As usual a little happy banter was exchanged between her and some of them.

Each day within its self can be a mini roller coaster. At times Carla is feeling just great and says lets go, then later she is managing some side effects.

This morning Carla was feeling well, showered, felt like going for a walk. Then she started to feel yucky. She told me her back was aching. Later in the evening when I returned, she was aching in her legs as well. We have been told by some people that there can be aching in the bones when the marrow is working hard. Although not a good thing to be feeling, we hope its hurting for the right reason.

Today we reviewed her blood numbers and there are definitely some note worthy signs. Her red blood count (Hematocrit/RBC) has not dropped in 3 days, remained at 26.1. Platelet levels dropped just five points from 51 to 46, normally drop 15 plus a day. The overall white blood count (WBC) was .1, .2, .4 over the same three day period. WBC is composed of Lymphocytes, Monocytes and Neutrofils(there are seven types of white blood cells, but these three compose a large majority).

Based on these numbers it appears that the new stem cells are beginning to work. I've been fooled before, so I will wait until tomorrow's numbers are gathered before I start getting too excited. No use counting the blood cells before the stem cells hatch. :)

4 comments:

Casie said...

I can't wait to hear the update on her levels tomorrow! Here's hoping to that progression! LOVE YOU, CARLA!

Patsy Alexander said...

Sounds like things are going forward. Thanks for the update. We are thinking of you all and wishing things keep on the upward trend.
Patsy

Jamie said...

Thinking of you Carla. Love to you all.

Priscilla said...

Big Hugs, I hope to see your smile soon Carla.