Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 0 - Stem cells on board!

Today marks a major milestone in the journey. Carla received stem cells from an anonymous donor today. What an incredible thing. They arrived in a big 20x20x20 box which was insulated and cooled.

Once the nurse verified they were for Carla, they set them down on top of Carla who was under the bed covers while they finished the paperwork. Carla reached out to them and held them in her hand, then lifted her head and looked a them. Hard to believe this day has come.

These stem cells will generate new red cells, white cells, and platelets. One of the jobs of the new white cells is to kill existing leukemia cells in the body that her body did not recognize as a threat. Day 0 is the day people get their transplant which helps to mark other milestones and progress. Carla's mom, McCall, myself, and two nurses got to experience this event. We sang Happy Birthday to Carla with the nurses as the stem cells started flowing into her body. It was a great feeling.


While today is a big day, seeing Carla in bed battling the affects of the previous ten days prepartory regimen reminds me that this a journey. Her IV tree, which I named Shelly, is decorated with medications and fluids of all sorts.

Even when she was feeling awful all curled up, Carla teased the doctor by asking him if he wanted to go dancing. Her spirit is strong.

Although I am tired from today's event and know there are hard days ahead, I am full of hope and smiles knowing my honey is on the road to recovery. I love you Carla.

Thank you Webster's for bringing dinner to our family.

We love you all.
The Hennessy's

3 comments:

Casie said...

Jeff, you are such a great writer! You convey the emotions of this journey from your family's perspective so well, which means, I have tears in my eyes from this post! Congrats the big DAY 0!!! I have been thinking of you and Carla all day. Love you all.

Unknown said...

Thank you for taking the time to update the blog. I was thinking of you guys all day yesterday.
Congrats on day 0! I'll be praying and supporting you all thru this journey.

Sending you lots of love and hugs.

Sandy said...

I agree with Casie. I too have those swelling drops in my eyes. I wish I were there with you and her. Please know that you haven't left my mind at all. I know she is going to get through this. So are we. Hugs and Kisses XOXOXOXOX