Eulogy by Jason Farley 2/26/2013- Carla's brother
In the early spring of 1993 a young spry Jeff Hennessy
showed up at my parents’ house for the first time…looking sharp to impress my
family. Carla and I for whatever reason quickly escalated things into a water
fight.
As Carla came out onto the back deck with a big glass of
water… I picked up the hose… she threw the water at me… and ran to get back
inside the house.
Jeff closed the door on Carla… and threw the deadbolt.
This was a joyous moment for me and I began to douse Carla
from head to toe with the hose.
Seconds later… my drenched sister leapt past me and ran into
the garage.
Meanwhile inside the house… Jeff turned around to see looks
of shock on everyone’s faces which translated into “WHAT DID YOU JUST DO”. He
knew that he had made a mistake at that moment… by giving me a victory against
Carla.
My only thought was “Thanks Jeff, that was awesome, it was
great meeting you”.
Luckily Carla looked past that moment and found herself in
the greatest partnership imaginable.
Without difficult moments that each of us face at times in
life, there is no contrast to the joy we all feel.
Without suffering… joy and happiness become commonplace.
Suffering and loss allow us to appreciate all that life
holds for us… that is good in the world.
Whenever loss… fear… and doubt overwhelms you, look toward
all those around you that bring joy in your life.
In time… pain will be replaced with moments of joy; each
moment of joy is a direct result… of the gifts life brings to us.
Carla is one of these gifts; the joy she brought to us all…
will live on as an example in those of us who continue our journey.
My sister’s gift… is the ability to make each person she
encounters feel unique, special, loved and accepted for who they are... She
just wants to discover the best in everyone… and for them to know that she is
there for them without pretext or judgment.
Carla and I were fierce competitors as many brothers and
sister are; our battles played out in the age old game of “touched you last”.
Today I declare in front of all of you that Carla is the
winner of “touched you last”, she touched me and each person in this room so
profoundly, I believe we can all declare her a winner for life.
My heartfelt love and devotion goes out to each of you here
to celebrate my sister that I love so very much, but especially to Jeff,
McCall, Callie and my parents.
I love you Carla.
Thank you all very much for being here to celebrate my
sister Carla.
1 comment:
His words made me laugh and cry all over again. What amazing memories of an awesome woman!
Post a Comment