Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ashes...Finding the right spot.


Since we held Carla’s celebration of life services, so much has happened…some good and some not so good. I will write about them here in the coming posts but wanted to update everyone on where Carla’s ashes will be dedicated and when.

I have found a place at Mt. Olivet Cemetery (1342 East 5th South) for Carla’s ashes, which is directly South of Rice Eccles Stadium. Go UTES! After visiting five times, I decided on a location very close to the 6th South entrance off of 1300 East. At this time I want to thank my brother Brian and his wife Tara for contributing to the cemetery plot and the services necessary for Carla’s ashes to be laid to rest. In addition, I have been finalizing the design of the marker for Carla’s ashes. Another thank you is needed to my coworkers whom made contributions to pay for the marker and more. Thank you all so much for your generosity. 

In regards to the day to dedicate her ashes, I want to wait until the marker is finished so that it will be there. It will likely be the first or second weekend of June. I should be able to give at least a week’s notice, just depends on the marker.

Out for a run…
While running laps around Canyon Rim Park today I ran into one of our neighbors, Erik Olsen.  He asked how we were doing. I thanked him for his and the community’s support, and he made a comment that took me back to the day of Carla’s services. He said if there was any indication of how much people loved and cared about us, you could tell by looking out over the crowd and how much the church was full and overflowing. He was right. And we felt that. Even John Holbrook, who took care of Carla’s ashes, had never seen so many cars, even for the Bell Ringer events during the Holidays. That was surely the largest crowd I have ever spoken to in my life. I truly drew on the strength of everyone there and I felt more at ease as the crowd got larger. It really let me know that people were there for us. I had a feeling of calmness and purpose.

Just a short story before I close for the night…
A few hours prior to the services, Jason and I went to the church to see how things were arranged. When we arrived, we noticed a fire truck parked in the back and hoped that nobody was having a serious problem, then we went into the church to find Pastor Pat and walk through the services. Although the chapel was empty, I didn’t feel alone. I read my eulogy to an empty room, as did Jason, and felt prepared. Pastor Pat asked me how I felt being in the chapel. I replied, “I feel at ease, calm.”  He said, “Good, that is how you should feel. You’ll do just fine.” With that bit of encouragement, Jason and I started to make our way through the church to leave, all the while I was thinking about having enough room for people at the services. So I said let’s peek inside the gym to see what kind of room is in there, and as we approached the gym we could her some people playing basketball. I opened the door and what do you know. It’s young firemen. I couldn’t resist making a crack that this must have been a sign that we were at the right place for Carla, and those old wooden gym doors would have been her gateway to heaven. Had I been a little more on more toes, I would have told that story for all to here…but, I guess I got to tell it here for all to read.

4 comments:

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

Ugh...I'm comment-arded.

I'm not a huge fan of funerals, but the Celebration was amazing! I've always known how much I love Carla and what she means to me, but didn't know until I saw all of those people just how many lives she's touched. Damn, I miss her.

After texting with you today, I was wondering when and where her ashes would be dedicated... we will definitely be there!

We love you all!

Casey said...

What a beautiful place for Carla's ashes!!

I love the firemen story. They were definitely there for Carla...an appetizer for the celebration of her life!!!

Love you all tons!!!

Erica Hill said...

That sounds like a great place Jeff. Love you guys! Our doors are open if you want to make a trip to Hawaii.