Sunday, April 28, 2013

Words from the celebration 3 of 3

While out for a run this Saturday evening about 6pm (it was a beautiful day), I ran past the house of Carla's manager from The Red Balloon Toy Store just as she was attempting drive off with her son and daughter in-law. I flagged them down just 20 feet from her driveway. Sherylyn got out of the car and gave me hug. We talked about the changes and how we both still cannot believe what has transpired. She asked about Carla's ashes and we talked about her celebration services. She said Carla would be very happy how the celebration was done and really liked "Thriller" at the end. It brought smiles to both of us. Thank you Sherylyn.

I was the last of the three speakers at the celebration. There was so much I could say, and I can talk endlessly about Carla. Not knowing how I was going to do with speaking, I prepared a bunch of bullet points that I hope would touch everyone with a memory or personal story.  In hindsight, given how comfortable I was, I would have spoken much longer, maybe walked up the aisle, point some people out, who knows, maybe sing a song. Over the past two years when we were at the hospital or at home trying to get through a tough moment or recovering from one, I would sing to her...some Kenny Chesney or Brad Paisley songs. And I still do sing to her.

Jeff's Talk 2/26/2013

Eulogy for Carla

:) Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock
:) The Lone Ranger and Tonto
:)
Han Solo and Chewbacca,
:) … you all know where I am going with this…
:) Batman and Robin
:) Carla and Jeff.  She is the boss, I am the sidekick.

* I am the man I am because of 2 women, my mom and Carla.

* McCall is in our life because Carla would not quit trying.

* Callie came into our life because Carla was a caring soul. Carla took great pride organizing the annual Marshall Island Adoption Reunion for many years so that Callie would preserve her heritage.

* We all got 2 extra years to learn and love because Carla was brave.

* People came to Carla because she would tell you the truth. (Does this dress make me look…?)

* 4 years of braces, head gear and rubber bands gave us her fabulous smile. (picture)


* Carla danced at the Barbary Coast Biker Bar, on the bar top, for Norm Graft’s 70th birthday…because he asked…. and she wanted to. Where are you Norm? (picture)



Halloween, sun goddess, cross stitcher, lawn mower (would not use the trimmer), carpenter, counselor, Leg Lamp Lover PICTURE 


Inspiration, BBQ, PTA, RMI, Tie Blankets, Firemen…Firemen (yes I said that twice), Leapin’ Leaners, Volunteer, frugal not cheap, Room Mom, Shivers, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, gardener, Family Dinner, homemaker, Cute Male nurses (David and Tony), soup, party planner, Red Ballooner, decorator, Mexican (not food, but me.)

* Friend, cousin, niece, aunt, sister, daughter, best friend, wife, mother.  Carla.

* Thank you all for being here with us.

* Pastor Pat – Yes, this was harder than saying “I do”.  I agree. But well worth it.
=========================


Below are a few photos that I am including in this blog post just for me. Because I like them.
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

Erica Hill said...

Thanks Jeff. You've had so many good memories together. Helps remind me to take advantage of my time here and be fun like Carla and you.