Friday, January 28, 2011

Difficult day

Today has been one of the most difficult days. In the past few days the mucositis has advanced from Carla's throat into her mouth and tongue. Its a very painful condition and she has been on pain medications to help alleviate the pain, but only makes it tolerable, not even close to feeling well. After trying to manage it with asking for meds, they moved her to a pain pump. This pump can be programmed to deliver a continuous flow of medicine, push the button, and/or ask nurse for additional dose. This has been adjusted up over the past few days as they are trying to manage the pain for her. She uses all three options.

Carla was given a sign from Jonni which read, "What the Hell!" This is another one of those opportune times to use that phrase.

Many different cultures have been done to determine if this is something other than mucositis. So far nothing has turned up abnormal, and the doctors are administering broad antibiotics to make sure nothing is missed.

Her blood counts have been increasing daily. The doctors are telling us that this condition should clear up quickly when her white blood counts climb even higher. We are hoping the combination of treatment and count improvement brings a quick recovery. She has climbed to .8L neutraphils (800), over the standard neutrapenic level of .5L, but nowhere near normal. We will take any increase. Some of the nurses are willing to do a "Neutraphil Dance" to spark a surge of those cells. I tell them, "Go Shake 'n Bake."

Thank you Gisseman and Swensen family for bringing dinner. Not only are you providing our family dinner, you are also providing a meal for the caregivers that are needed for my children when I am not able to be there at dinner time, like tonight. You all are appreciated so much and I cannot thank you enough for all the support you are providing us.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Carla I wish there was something I could say or do. I am so sorry you are going through this. Please know I am thinking of you, and admire you so. Love you!

Patsy Alexander said...

So glad that Carla is doing better. I commend you and the girls for keeping things going,too. I know that it is a daily challenge. Keep up your courage and know that you all remain in our thoughts and prayers.