Friday, October 5, 2012

LIVER LIVER LIVER


This is week has been all about my liver, what it does, why we need it and how the numbers affect my health.  After seeing Dr. Nielson and he also being concerned about my high levels he wanted to ultrasound the liver to see if all the right blood flow was going into it. (Basically check if all the vessels were working and bringing blood to the liver.) I got a call at 10:30 am that they wanted me that afternoon but no appointments until 4:30pm.  Oh, did I mention no eating or drinking the whole day. AUGH.  By the time I got registered, did the ultrasound and finished it was 6:00pm.  I was dizzy, hungry and tired. The technician was impressed with my liver and said all looked good to her.   We got me something to eat and headed to McCall’s soccer game. Half way through the game I start to get dizzy.  I think the lack of food, heat and long day put me over the edge.  Jeff got me to the car with some small “black outs”…but nothing serious.  Home right to bed….felt much better the next day.

The following day the doctors wanted an MRI of the liver.  I was luckily able to eat. HA!  This checks the amount of iron in your liver and how it looks in 3D.  Got registered again and in through the “donut” machine (as I like to call it).  I am not claustrophobic so this does not bother me.  Takes about 30 minutes of loud noises on a cold bed.  No big deal. 

 A call later from the doctor that the liver looked good but now they needed a full liver biopsy.  (I hate that word ….biopsy…yuck).  No eating or drinking for this either but my appointment was at 7:30am the next day.

More registering and paper work.  I met with the RN got my needles put in and they hooked me up like a car.  I had a zillions wires hooked up to me to keep checks on all my vitals.  Once in the operation room I got the “good drugs”. These don’t really knock you out…but make you super sleepy and feel wonderful. HA!  They put a small needle through the right side of my neck down the main artery and took a few samples of the liver.  I went back to recovery with a large bandage on my neck.  Finally was free to go home and just took it easy for the day.

With all these tests done the same results are back.  The liver is GVH free (from the donor).  I don’t have any hepatitis C or liver damage.  I just have TOO much iron.  We’ve taken me off some medications and today's number have come down almost 200 points.  We have also decided to take blood from me each week.  Today the RN took 250ml.  Next Friday we’ll recheck the numbers and if my red-blood cells are holding we’ll take 500ml and continue each week until numbers are normal.  Funny how I used to get blood….now I am giving it back. (Even though mine gets thrown out.)

 Another gymnastics meet last week and Callie did great.  
She took 3 place overall!!

McCall-Anna-Rachel-Lester
(all my daughters)
Love you guys!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Suh-WEEET! Keep on kicking some oncological ass! (That's right, you bad. Uh-hunh. Uh-hunh.)

You rock, Carla. Big loves from the Graft family.

Megan said...

What would you do with yourself if super exciting medical procedures didn't insert themselves into your life ;). At least this biopsy didn't sound so bad. And it sounds like you and the dr.'s have a handle on your rebellious liver. The girls look beautiful as always! Love yer guts!

Sandy said...

Glad everything is okay....I need to call you soon....seems like forever since we talked...this week has been crazy...didn't even call Jeff on his big day..Hope he had a great birthday.....HUGS!!!