Thursday, May 5, 2011

Engrafted!

Carla's bone marrow transplant has engrafted. This means that her neutrofil white count was above 500 for 3 days in a row and is at 1000. In basic terms it means the transplant is working and blood cells are being made. Her platelet count is nearing low normal, reds dropped slightly but typical. It was such good news today.

Our doctor told Carla to take it slow and let the body heal. She still gets quite tired during the day from time to time. He was very encouraged by her blood numbers and how she is not showing signs of Graft vs. Host (GVH)issues. Slowly she will be switching to oral meds and if progress continues could be home early next week!

Carla got out of her room for a few walks and I pushed her in the wheelchair outside...YES, I SAID OUTSIDE! Pushing a person in a wheelchair up a hill, wearing a mask with an IV pole gets a few friendly comments from passer-byers. It was a great feeling to be outside with you honey. I waited for her brother to assist me getting her back. The IV pole was not designed for travel on a bricked sidewalk.

Holli and Dave G. it was nice to visit with you for that short time. Thank you for the Cinco de Mayo dinner, we appreciate it and your kindness!

9 comments:

Casie said...

I'm sitting here crying about such great news!!! I am so proud of your whole family and how you've been through all of this. You're all fighters and that just helps Carla fight better! Early next week!?! We are keeping our fingers crossed down here in Nevada. Love you guys!! Way to produce blood cells, Carla!

Priscilla said...

Such a wonderful news. XOXO

mine said...

SUPER! That is such a nice Mother's Day gift. I am sure that Carla enjoyed her adventure of getting outside even though it was quite a hassle. Good to hear the great news and hoping that she will be able to get home next week.

Cort said...

Yay! I'm so happy!

shirley dourgarian said...

This is such great news for sure! Miracles right here for us to witness! I have to say I had a lump in my throat as I read the news, I'm so excited that soon the road to home will be yours.

God bless each of you and thank you for showing us such incredible strength. Love and kisses to all

Megan said...

Sweeeeeet! What even more amazing-er news :). Congrats Carla, Jeff, and girls! We love you and can't wait until all of this is behind you and Carla will be home in her bed every night. Xoxo

skelly523 said...

Carla and Jeff- that is fantastic news and you must feel so relieved! I can't wait for you to be home every day! xoxo

Casey said...

Yay!!!! Happy Mother's Day Carla!!!!!

Sandy said...

It was so good to see you today!! You looked so beautiful...and I was sooooo glad how awake and vibrant you were. Can't wait to see in your own bed... Love you! Hugs and Kisses XOXOXOXOXOXOXOX